Employers’ responsibilities related to employees’ social insurance number (SIN)

As an employer, you have to get the correct social insurance number (SIN) from each new employee within three days of them starting to work. If the employee doesn't give you his or her SIN and you do not make a reasonable effort to get it, you may be subject to a penalty of $100 for each failure.

Get correct information

You must view an employee’s SIN card and record the name and number exactly as they appear on the card. An incorrect SIN can affect an employee’s future CPP benefits if the record of earnings file is not accurate. It can also affect an employee’s RRSP deduction limit and notice of assessment.

SIN begins with "9"?

If the employee’s SIN begins with “9”, make sure it has not expired.

Not have a SIN?

If a new employee doesn't have a SIN, instruct him/her to apply for a SIN at his or her Service Canada Centre. Make sure to see the proof of application and the SIN card once the employee receives it.

Record correct SIN on ROE

When an employee has an interruption in earnings, make sure to record the correct SIN on a Record of Employment (ROE) for EI purposes. If you don’t, you could be fined up to $2,000, imprisoned for up to six months, or both. 

Your employees' Social Insurance Number (SIN) is confidential and should only be used for income-related information.

Additional information